Wednesday 13 October 2010

Une soirée chez Liz’s...

So on Friday, Alice and I had a hard 3 hour day at Collège Berthelot which consisted of us compiling a list of places to visit whilst we’re in France and then playing on a ‘Learn English’ game on the computer. I have to say, whilst playing this game; we did actually get a question wrong- OH THE SHAME! Admittedly, it was the software’s fault- putting a glass of juice with an orange by it would automatically mean orange juice to anyone, surely? Apparently it was fruit juice...
Later on, a bunch of us went to Liz and Enar’s abode for a rendez-vous. When we eventually found our way to Lycée Sud, we were shown around and it’s HUGE. There are only two of them living there but they have 3 tables, various storage cupboards, 3 bedrooms (one which is painted with animals on the wall, it must have been a former nursery), a lounge and a dining room! In the end, five of us turned up so we laid the table for seven and got chopping for the chicken and vegetable stir fry. Everyone had brought different things and so it worked amazingly well. The stir fry consisted of chicken, peppers, onions, carrot, mushrooms, and courgette, alongside A LOT of ‘pain’ with Brie and Camembert and of course zee Wine Rosé! The conversation was flowing very well (peut-être au cause du vin?!) and we got talking about the differences between England and France and England and America. I found it pretty hilarious at times because sometimes when Carly or Liz spoke (both from America), I couldn’t understand what they were saying because the words they use are totally different/have a different meaning compared to England. So, even though we speak the same language, at points I had to say: explain please? Funny! After what seemed like only an hour, we realised it was about time we headed out, so we met the others in the Jazz bar. Needless to say, it wasn’t actually very jazzy so we resorted to our normal pubs and then proceeded to Café Noir (Le Mans version of Mainstreet in Newport!) But a good night was had by all and I caught my first taxi home which worked out to be €8 for 2 stops, so not bad at all!
On Saturday morning I had a McDonalds to recuperate and then Alice, Louise and I hit the shops. I spent €16’s on essentials in the 2 euro shop and then went halves on a DVD offer with Louise in FNAC. This now means that we have a mini dvd store between us as we both have 5 DVD’s each for €25. They’re pretty up-to-date too, so I was happy. We then went for a mid-afternoon coffee (slash tea) and this time I didn’t make the fatal error of ordering a ‘thé naturel’ (without milk) or a ‘thé citron’ (lemon tea.) You can see that they immediately know I’m English when I order my ‘thé au lait’. I also bought Pete’s birthday card and 2 postcards for my grandparents before popping home before popping back out again to the cinema. This second film was far more successful than our first; it was called Donnant, Donnant and in my opinion, it really captured the true humour of the French...
I’m going to finish this blog with some cultural differences that I’ve noticed about the French, since living in France (Apologies in advance if I have completely got the wrong end of the stick about the French):
·         Okay so the first and foremost thing that I have noted about zee French is how relaxed and chilled out they are about EVERYTHING. I wish I had grown up here because I would not be the worrier that I am now if I had of.  The teachers waltz around trying to remember which class they’ve got and whilst the teaching here is pretty good, it’s just so much more chilled. The first day I turned up 15 minutes early for my class, now I just catch the bus which gets me there with 3 minutes to spare.
·         The second thing I have gathered is that ‘the French love striking’ stereotype is VRAI! I have now been here two weeks and a couple of days and there have been 2 strikes already. Apparently I should get used to it too because it’s going to be a ‘bad year’. Ha
·         The French are much more about quality than quantity, which is great for making your room look nice or having great food but not so good on the pocket.
·         Fourthly, the French work/study for far longer hours each day than the English. Being a student here involves 8am starts and 24 hour weeks, teaching/going to school starts at 8 and can go on till 5pm. No wonder the French are striking for a lower retirement age!
·         Everyone smokes and drinks coffee. FACT.
·         Here in Le Mans, and from what I can gather throughout France, they provide a much more effective and greener transport network throughout cities- the setram network here in Le Mans is perfect and always on time (apart from these bloody manifestations)
·         You don’t have to smile to be polite...
·         And finally, I have learnt a few French table manners: you must share the bill equally. If you invite someone out to dinner, you’re expected to pay and don’t take a second round of cheese at a dinner party, the host/hostess will think you’re still hungry.
That’s all for now folks
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment